Sunday, February 2, 2014

Verbs, Adverbs and Flowers


We made these cute flowers while learning about adverbs! First I took a picture of each student and had them think of 5 verbs they enjoy doing. Each verb was then written on the yellow part of the flower's petal. Students then had to write one sentence using the verb and a matching adverb! Having students correctly use adverbs is tough for second graders, but for the most part, I think they did a great job. 

Here are some close-ups of the sentences.
     

Did you notice the check mark on on the flower? After they wrote one sentence, I made them bring it to me so I could check it to make sure they were writing their sentences correctly. This helped many of them to clear up confusions with using adverbs correctly.  I also made them underline the adverb and verb. 

Before we created the flower, I made sure my students had a good understanding of nouns, verbs and adjectives. We reviewed how adjectives describe nouns and then I introduced that adverbs describe verbs. Then we compared and contrasted adjectives and adverbs (they're similar because they both describe, but they're different be adjectives describe nouns and adverbs describe verbs).  I also pointed out that the word 'adverb' has the word 'verb' in it. 

 Here's a great worksheet that reviews noun, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. Click on the picture to download it for FREE! 
{FREEBIE} Adjectives and Adverbs

I also made this anchor chart and posted it on the wall! 

Hope you can use some of these goodies in your own classroom! If so, please leave a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent informative website. The content was amazing! How refreshing to here someone explain without leaving me confused . I really appreciate you hard work on topic of Learn Complex sentences and please carry on or continue this effort.

    ReplyDelete